Questions and Answers

What do I do if I have found a pet? 

By law all stray animals must be turned in to Henry County Animal Control at 527 Hampton Street in McDonough for a stray period to give their owners a chance to find and reclaim them.  After 4 business days property rights are severed and pets become property of the county.  If an owner does not reclaim, the pet is then available for rescue, adoption, or euthanasia.  We do not take in stray found pets.

What do I do if my pet is missing? 

Please be sure to visit Henry County Animal Control at 527 Hampton Street in McDonough to look for your missing pet.  We do not take in stray pets.

How can I adopt? 

We ask that each potential adopter complete our preliminary adoption application, it does not commit you to adopting but rather helps us get to know you and make sure you are the right home for the pet you are interested in.

Why do you require a previous vet history? 

Many of our pets arrived in less than good health and have gone through long term medical treatment.   We do everything in our power to revitalize and restore these dogs and cats who didn’t ask to be neglected and abandon.  The only way we can get to know you as a pet parent is to look at your past, your vet history with your pets, to know if routine exams, vaccinations, and heartworm prevention are part of your caregiving.

Why is your adoption fee so expensive?

We feel our adoption fee is minimal considering the cost of fully vetting our pets.  Some of our dogs and cats require thousands of dollars worth of lifesaving medical attention to get healthy and become adoptable.

I already have pets, what else can I do to help?  

We always need dedicated animal loving volunteers to help out in all area’s.  Volunteers must be 18 .  If you do not wish to volunteer inside the shelter or at off site events perhaps you would enjoy community outreach projects.  There is something for everyone to do.  Contact us at info@henryhumane.com for more information and a volunteer packet.

I need help with problem animals in my neighborhood.

Henry County Animal Control 770.288.7387 works on a complaint basis.  We do not help with stray or nuisance animals, domestic or wild.  Please call animal control for assistance or to report stray or abandon domestic animals in your neighborhood.  They can also direct you with regard to wildlife.

I need help with spaying or neutering.

We strive to help sterilize all companion animals to prevent the countless unwanted litters that are currently filling county run shelters.  While we do not have a clinic or a vet on staff at this time we can help you find an affordable spay neuter clinic.  Please email us at info@henryhumane.com and visit www.spotsociety.org for a complete list of resources in the metro Atlanta area.

Where can I view photos of the animals available for adoption?

Visit the website’s Dogs & Puppies page or Cats & Kittens page.

I have a question that’s not listed here.

Please contact us for more information.